Saturday, January 23, 2010

"Wikipedia With Everything"

I learned a lot about the term "crowdsourcing" this week, and I learned it all from Jeff Howe. In an article that focuses on the design industry, Howe poses the question of whether or not crowdsourcing is evil. As this was my first exposure to the term, after reading this piece I was leaning toward "evil," however it did seem like a great way for designers to practice and possibly become successful in an industry in which they were previously unknown. That said, with my limited knowledge, crowdsourcing seemed unfair: an easy way for companies to receive a lot of great work while incurring minimal wage expense.

Then I watched a video where Howe explains more about crowdsourcing. He states that crowdsourcing "doesn't eradicate business, it just changes it dramatically." He also describes it as "Wikipedia with everything." Maybe crowdsourcing isn't so terrible. Wikipedia has certainly changed the way we all get information, so it would make sense for other areas of our lives to change in a similar fashion. Maybe this is just the latest way social media is changing the way we operate on a regular basis.

While I am not sold on the fact that crowdsourcing is evil, I question whether it will really take off as Howe predicts. I wouldn't be surprised if individuals answering the open calls of crowdsourcing eventually use social media to organize and demand more equitable means of compensation than the "contests" Howe mentions. I also think that crowdsourcing could present difficulties in areas such as communication and relationships, and I wonder if companies will find that dealing with such difficulties is worth the cost savings. Hopefully Howe will keep us updated.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post, but give me some pictures to look at! I agree that I don't think crowdsourcing will take off in the way Howe predicts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Andy's point that it won't take off THAT much. Certainly a helpful tool, but nothing to bet the house on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you--wikipedia is the best! haha...good use of the link when you say "article" and "video"..im jealous, I havent quite mastered that in my blog yet. I dont think crowdsourcing is evil either...I think of crowdsourcing kind of like yelp--you get 100 different reviews until finally the answer its pretty accurate. I am not sure if crowdsourcing will take off or not--its definatly a good idea in theory, but I guess we will have to wait and see :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many times do we look at wikipedia for the answer to things first? Its the best tool when a professor asks something in class that no one knows. I guess in more ways than one we are wikipedia with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am little a late with last weeks posts but I also think crowdsourcing is a great way for newbies to enter the industry, understand the competitors and become better at their skill - just like wikipedia - the only the true experts on a particular subject will survive...

    ReplyDelete