Friday, February 5, 2010

Had To Hike Through the Snow To Write This Post...

There are persuasive arguments for and against the idea that technology, specifically the Internet, is chipping away at human intelligence. While the Internet opens the world up to a wealth of information, facilitates connections and serves as a huge time saver, I agree that it can provide a lot of distractions and even make people lazy. I admit that in writing this post, I've checked Facebook more than a few times.

The more I think about this topic, the more I think that the arguments in favor of the Internet contributing to the "dumbing-down" of society are misguided. Technology and the Internet, even in all its distractive glory, are huge resources for people of all ages...but only when used correctly. Take social networking for example: while you can waste copious amounts of time on Twitter (which, as a new "Tweeter," I can say with confidence), it can be really beneficial for information and communication purposes as well.

Now, I probably sound like a nag, but I really believe it is the responsibilities of parents and teachers to ensure the youth population takes advantage of all the Internet has to offer in terms of learning as well as recreation. Not that I'm either of things (parent or teacher), but I'm sure it can be done. Otherwise, there is the risk of using technological tools inappropriately, resulting in a lack of intellectual development.

As for the rest of us "grown-ups," I think we should take personal responsibility for any laziness or intellectual erosion that has occurred as a result of technology use, instead of blaming those who developed the tools.

4 comments:

  1. Great post - totally agree that taking personal responsibility is the way to go rather than blaming social media platforms, the internet, etc. Its your responsibility to make sure you use it productively and recreationally to a point. Hopefully people pass along healthy usage habits to their kids/students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting post--but I agree, and I probably sound like a nag too, but it is def up to parents and teachers to make sure the internet is being used for all of its possibilities in terms of academia. The internet has its disadvantages, but it makes life easier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on board too - let's blame the teachers and parents. Really they are the first ones to put a book in our hand versus playstation 2. Do you think Congress will put an age restriction on the use of the internet if this becomes a hot topic? No internet use until age 9. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike... I have a similar post. I totally agree, I wish adults would take responsibility and I wish parents/teachers would step up to plate and do what they are suppose to do!

    ReplyDelete