Saturday, February 20, 2010

Networking...Not So Scary


When I quit my job to go to business school, my dad told me to make sure I kept in touch with my former bosses and colleagues, since they seemed to know everyone and anyone. He told me I had to actively initiate coffee or lunches with them when I wasn't looking for a job, so it wouldn't be awkward when I eventually asked for their help.

I realize now that what my dad was encouraging, and what I have been doing, is networking. I think students or any one contemplating a job switch would benefit from reading articles such as the ones by Penelope Trunk and Liz Ryan. Networking isn't about giving your "pitch" to a stranger that you want to hire you; it's about developing and keeping up relationships so that when you are in need of a favor, you can have a comfortable conversation with a contact. When described the way it is in the articles, it sounds like an easy and effective way to job search...you just have to make sure to start it well before you need that job.

So there's no need to cringe or roll your eyes at the word networking. It's probably something you already do. And since people keep talking about it and encouraging it, it's probably something we should do more and do better.

2 comments:

  1. this is such a great post! even for someone who attends tons of networking events, i still get nervous walking up to strangers and striking up conversations. but networking doesn't have to be scary :) it can happen very casually and organically which is the best way to do it. good luck in your search!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should give ur dad a hug next time you see him--because that sure is great advice. My parents have said the same thing--but hey, I'm an MBA student, I know everything right?? haha..I have found myself searching through fbook friends that I havent spoken to in years and am frantically looking at where they work and cringe when I inbox them if they know of any positions open--its def important to keep in touch, bc one day you will need their help!

    ReplyDelete