Sunday, February 14, 2010

Where Am I?

It's interesting to think that just two or three years ago, people were debating whether or not mobile social networking would take off. It seems crazy that there were ever skeptics of mobile social networking, considering the popularity of the Blackberry and IPhone. It seems like everyone uses their mobile devices to participate in social networking.

With the introduction of Google Buzz just last week, it seems those who doubt the impact GPS-technology will have on social networking may also be proved wrong. However as one of the only remaining owners of a "flip phone" that has no Internet access, I don't really see the appeal of broadcasting your every location to your contacts, as well as to businesses you visit (my friend is frequently the "Mayor" of Jimmy Johns and I'm concerned for his health). But I'm probably in the minority. I brought the subject up to my friends this weekend and the concept seems hugely popular.

While I do think this is a really interesting step in social networking, I also think it will cause problems for social networkers. We already hear stories about employees encountering professional problems when their bosses read their Facebook status, or even their g-chat statuses. I don't have a lot of faith that people will use this advancement in social networking intelligently. But I am interested to see how it impacts the future of social networking.

2 comments:

  1. I have a flip phone too! I encourage everyone with a flip phone to post a comment. Maybe we can bring it back by having everyone sign a petition or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO U HAVE A FLIP PHONE???? haha..well, you probably are one of the dwindling few that do, but atleast you admit it! However, I guess if you don't know what you are missing (facebook app, twitter app, urbanspoon app, etc etc) then you cant miss it right??

    We are all in front of a computer enough to be able to check our numerous social media websites too many times a day already..who needs it on the phone as well...

    However, I hate to admit it, but I think i would die without my iphone...im literally eat, breathe, sleep, iphone. haha.

    Have you become addicted to twitter yet?? :-)

    ReplyDelete